Recipe: Stuffed Aubergines
Packed with flavour and texture, these stuffed aubergines are easy to make and a hearty selection for autumn. If you’re looking to move towards a plant-based lifestyle, this recipe is the perfect place to start. Taken from Deliciously Ella’s Quick & Easy cookbook, it’s one you’ll be craving again and again.
4 large aubergines
250ml boiling water
150g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, roughly chopped, plus 2 tbsp of oil from the jar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp pine nuts
1 tbsp harissa paste
large handful of parsley, about 15g, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C fan.
2. Cut the aubergines in half and place on to a baking tray. Score the flesh with a knife (being careful not to cut all the way through), drizzle with olive oil and salt, and roast for 35–40 minutes, until soft. Once soft, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
3. Turn the oven down to 180°C fan.
4. While the aubergines are in the oven, cook the quinoa. Place a medium saucepan over a medium heat and add the quinoa and boiling water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 12–15 minutes until the water has been absorbed. Once cooked, remove from the heat and leave to one side until cool.
5. Using a large spoon, scrape the flesh out of the aubergines and on to a board. Roughly chop into pieces then put into a large bowl.
6. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, pine nuts, harissa and quinoa. Season with a large pinch of salt and pepper.
7. Using a tablespoon, scoop equal amounts of the mixture back into each aubergine skin. Place them back on the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Sprinkle the parsley on top before serving.